Where dust is being sucked up, there is a chance that static electricity will be generated. This is caused by dust rubbing against the inside walls of, for example, a vacuum hose or filter thereby creating friction. This friction gives the dust a different electrical charge than the surface on which it rubs. The extent to which static electricity is built up highly depends on the material that is being sucked up. For example, sucking up plastic chips generates more static electricity than, for example, your ordinary wood chips. From a safety point of view, it may sometimes be necessary to reduce or prevent the build-up of static electricity. For instance, when dust is sucked up that is highly flammable or when dust is being sucked up in rooms with combustible fumes. The build-up of static electricity can easily be reduced by grounding those parts that can generate static elecricity:
- A metal cyclone filter can be grounded.
- A metal dustbin can be grounded.
- A static dissipative hose can also be used to reduce static electricity.